Saturday, February 6, 2010

Little Folks Voile Love


I am in love with this fabric line - I think I have mentioned that before (Ok, I love everything Anna Maria makes)! I also fell madly in love with this quilt made by Megan (philistine made). Well, I jumped in and eagerly started cutting my half triangle squares. I think I was in a bit of denial that the voile might possibly be a little tougher to work in such a precise pattern - it is a bit more slippery than regular quilting weight fabric. And accuracy is not exactly my strong suit.
Needless to say, I have spent a little bit of time with my seam ripper and my husband asked me to step away from the project the other night - that's when you really know it's time to take a break (and a glass of wine!) So I woke up that night (morning) at 4 AM lying there and just had to get up and sew. I think I just needed to slow down and now things are going a bit better. I also remembered that I had some spray starch and I really think it made a huge difference. I just love this pattern with these fabrics and would be pretty heartbroken if I had to scrap the project. It will probably be pretty slow going but here are my first couple of blocks.
By the way, the solid is Robert Kaufman Ultra Sateen which I thought was a better choice than the Kona to match with the voile. Also I prewashed all the fabrics first - I think just out of paranoia of working with the voile. 
I have a couple of other things I am working on I hope to show you soon. It has just been a little tough around here lately because Lucy is in full force teething mode and my normally happy girl is a little fussy  at the moment. OK back to the sewing while she is napping soundly!

8 comments:

  1. very interested to see how you go, I bought a fat quarter bundle of these fabrics and I'm alittle scared to work with them lol

    at least they are pretty to look at :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so pretty! I just bought a bunch of 1/4 yard cuts of the voiles today and am going to make a simple quilt top with them, I just love these fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh! Oh my! That is so incredibly beautiful! I think it will look great whether your seams are matched up or not. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! I found your blog after falling in love with your Little Folks WIP on Flickr. We share a love of Anna Maria Horner (among other fabrics) In scanning older posts I noticed the bags from Bolt and it sounded like you live nearby, but maybe to the North? I live in Hillsboro. If you're close to Portland, are you planning to join the Portland Modern Quilt Guild -- or are you too far away? We may be having our first meeting soon. Love your blog!

    joan

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh i love this! quite lovely. sorry to hear that it's been hard to work with, but thanks for the warning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is going to be a terrific quilt Megan!!! I can't wait to see this beauty completed :) Love it!!

    XO, Heather

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is beautiful! So glad the starch helped... good for me to keep in mind for the future.

    ReplyDelete
  8. gorgeous! i love it, and the one that inspired you too. I think that i am going to make one someday with my FMF :)

    ReplyDelete